Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Weekend

And before you go any further.... there still are NO pictures. sigh....

First off the kiddos finished school on last Thursday. We have survived the whole first week of summer break! Hopefully, they don't hold Memorial Weekend as the standard for which we need to keep up with.

Daddy was able to take Friday off. (from my point of view, I thought starting out just being able to sleep in a major plus in my book!) It was Carb Day at the track, so we headed that way. It has been ages since we've been to the track. Jess was coming up on one year old the last time. She doesn't remember it. So, it's been a few. And we actually went to the 500 the year she was born. As in about 2 1/2-3 weeks before. (funny side story... we used to live in the neighborhood near the 3rd turn of the track. That year, we received 2 free tickets. And even though I was very much prego (measuring way ahead of schedule, that I didn't really realize. It was my first. What did I know?), I was not going to pass up these tickets! I probably was not going to get another chance to go. Of course we would be seated in turn one. It is almost impossible to get any further away. But walked it, I did. And more than a few track employees that wanted to point me to the first aid station, you know, "just in case." Luckily, it was a very cool and drizzily day. To me it was perfect. I had my own little furnace. Everyone else thought it was downright cold. And to top it off, I won the race pool at work.) But back to 2010, this was Brandon's first trip. Overall, it was an enjoyable day. We were able to get up close to the Indy Lite cars. The one Brandon picked ended up winning. Jess picked the girl that had pole position. And when she was involved in a crash (not her fault) that ended the race for her, Jess sobbed. And sobbed. (it reminded me of this day)
"But I really really wanted to her to win!!!!"  I think she was being a tiny bit dramatic. We didn't know the driver. Don't follow racing much. Much less the Indy Lites. We just sat down in the bleachers and we all picked a number. Except for Jess. She picked "the girl."

Friday night, my brother called. "Hey sis, I forgot to call you days ago. Want to come over tomorrow? We're having a cookout." So that's what we did. We spent the entire day, Saturday, at my brother's house with  his family and another brother and his fiancee and our mom. The kids were pretty much water logged. They stayed in the pool the whole time; coming out only to eat lunch. All these days later, they are still saying how much fun they had!

Sunday evening we had our own cookout. This time with Daddy's side. We did a mini fireworks show when it finally got dark enough. Poor Jess was bitten my something. On her forehead. What started out as a red spot, by Monday it looked like a big goose egg. I gave her an allergy pill; hoping it would help. Tuesday morning when she woke up, she was all swollen right between her eyes. She looked like she should have felt terrible, but she said she felt fine. I did go to the pharmacy to buy Benedryl. By afternoon, it did not appear to have helped any. A call to the doctor, with one appointment left, we zoomed to their office. Since it was around her eyes, and she seemed kinda blah, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have her looked at. Andddd.... she's fine. A small allergic reaction to the bite. It will go away. The allergy pill, the Benedryl and the cold compress... all good.
Oh, and I forgot to add in the middle of that last paragraph that 3 nights of the kids staying up late and having lots of fun in the sun means that all of us slept in way way late on Monday. Crazy kind of late. When we finally went downstairs, Daddy let the dog out. As the dog went running out the door, the trap door snapped shut on the cage we bought to catch our wicked bunny. We had a really quick breakfast and super short showers; then we took Mr. Bunny to our local park. Hopefully, he will enjoy the vegetation much better there. And it is far enough away that he doesn't come back!

That, I think, about sums us up....

1 comment:

Shannon said...

You can only hope that bunny wont come back, you never know he may find his way back home!!! :)